Skip to main content

Bath time thoughts

Whilst laying in the bath I had a thought about a passage from Corinthians ... I had to Google it to be honest with you ... it's 13:11 and goes like this:

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I set aside childish ways.

For years that worried me that line. I believed it meant that at some point it was essential to grow up, to quite literally set aside childish ways ... that's a scary thought for someone who loves messing about and having fun with people of all ages not worrying about what others think and then, in the midst of the bubbles my mind worked it out for me. All these years I looked at it wrong. It is not telling me to stop thinking young thoughts, on the contrary, it is reminding me of what it is that children think of. They want to be grown up, it is a dream to be an adult, to have the rights and privileges of being an adult. They don't want to 'just' be children. This is the childish way the passage refers to. It's an instruction to stop trying to be something we're not. Stop looking for and expecting that time in our life when we are an all encompassing adult and look within ourselves. Realise that the child never leaves us, who we were is who we are.

Considering this we can move on with life free of worries about how we should be, how others expect us to be, what is the normal we must become. We realise that we always had all the tools we needed to be ourselves. It is not for others to judge us, they will, of course, but they will despite us. Attempting to be someone we are not to please others is to give away our right 'to be'.

Now this makes sense to me, rather than setting aside my childish ways, I am embracing them, all except for that part of me who wanted to be someone or something else. I am happy and, you should be happy to be just the ever so special people we are.

Comments

Robin Hinton said…
Beautifully written, thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Small World After All

In life we are said to meet one soul mate, that special person we can totally relate to, who loves us no matter what and we love them the same. There was a time, not so long ago when we only had the people within a few streets of us to find them from. Then there were trains and telephones and we might find them in the next town. Cars came along to make life easier, TV showed us a bigger view and they might now be anywhere in the country. Then we got air travel and the internet, we've a whole world to choose from. Our streets is now a planet so, why are you alone precisely? My soul mate is 6,668 miles away flying in a dead straight line, that's like, wow!